14-Day Quarantine in South Korea

After an almost 10 hour flight from Honolulu, I landed at Incheon Airport last Saturday. I actually really enjoyed flying on Hawaiian Airlines, despite the cockroach that appeared the last leg of my flight (thank God I didn't notice until one hour before landing!!!). They have the best smelling hand wash, provide earplugs and a sleep mask with palm trees on it. The movie selection was pretty diverse and high quality. And the leg room just felt significantly better than any United flight I've been on. 

I took my time heading to immigration because I knew that 1. I'd have to wait anyway 2. I wasn't in a rush to start quarantine. It took almost 2 hours. First, they took my temperature and checked my negative PCR test. Then, I had to download a quarantine app on my phone and headed towards a desk managed by military servicemen.

This is when they call the number of a friend or family that you put down in the app. Unfortunately, my friend wasn't picking up so I quickly messaged my cousin who picked up the phone. After confirming that I have acquaintances in Korea, they collected my PCR test results and gave me a sticker of approval. 

Then you're shuffled to booth where you show them your passport, visa and they take your picture and fingerprints. This part was pretty fast and I was soon going down the escalator to pick up my luggage. After collecting my luggage, I showed my customs declaration form and finally went out through the exit! 

Once out, I was led to a booth that covers transportation for my area. There were two choices - a special bus or a quarantine taxi. I chose to take the taxi and was kindly given directions on where to go. At this point, I was pretty exhausted - mostly because this whole process was tedious (rightly so) and made me anxious. 

But, damn, did I get THE BEST taxi driver. He was so swift and kind and even offered to get me an ice cold water. He pumped up the AC, gave me tips about quarantining and told me I should rest. I was dropped off in around an hour. He not only disinfected my suitcases but helped me bring them all the way to my elevator! 10/10 

I was told to call the health center on my app within 24 hours, and also to get my COVID test within the same time frame. I woke up on Sunday and called to reserve a quarantine taxi to take me to get tested, as you can't use public transportation and I'm not within walking distance of the health center. The taxi came in around an hour and took me to and from, free of charge! I was also given priority in the testing line which was awesome. 10/10

On Monday, the quarantine officer in charge gave me a call and said that he'd be delivering a package. Here is what was included: 6 face masks, a thermometer, disinfectant spray, biohazardous trash bags, a mental health booklet, and hand sanitizer. The thermometer is interesting because you have to put it under your armpit hahaha. You have to take your temperature twice a day, at morning and at night. 

On Tuesday, I got another delivery from my district which was a huge box of microwavable and dry food. The quarantine officer told me it'd take around 4-6 days but I got it in one! 10/10

Today, I got a call from a counseling service and the lady asked me how I was doing. 😭

Truthfully, the second day of quarantine hit me hard but I'm on day 4 and trying to make the best out of my time. I plan to: meditate, try out new skincare tools, listen to podcasts, reorganize my apartment, do yoga, cook healthy recipes, freelance and prepare for the new school year. 10 more days to go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made a Plate!

A Weekend in Ganghwa Island